LPN Transition Experience:
The LPN Transition Experience provides qualified LPNs with the opportunity to complete the RN program in only 16 months following successful completion of the challenge requirements and a theory and clinical challenge.
LPN Transition Experience Admission Requirements:
The applicant must meet the following requirements for admission to the LPN Transition Experience:
- All basic admission requirements as documented in The Washington Hospital School of Nursing Bulletin (Official transcripts must document completion of a State Board approved/National League for Nursing Accrediting Commission accredited LPN program)
- Copy of current licensure as an LPN.
- Work experience as an LPN within the last three years, documented on Employment Verification Form.
- Declaration of Intent
- The Washington Hospital School of Nursing Application for Admission and application fee.
When the above requirements have been met the LPN student will be eligible for WHSN student tuition at Waynesburg University.
After acceptance into the LPN Transition Experience the student must submit the following in order to qualify:
- Official college transcripts documenting a grade of “C” or better in:
- Human Anatomy (3 credits)
- Human Physiology (4 credits)
- Nutrition (3 credits)
- First Aid and CPR (1 credit)
- College Composition I (3 credits)
- Introduction to Psychology (3 credits)
- Microbiology (4 credits)
- Human Development (3 credits)
- Principles of Sociology (3 credits)
- Strategies for Academic Success (1 credit)
Note: Students may receive credit by challenging selected courses at Waynesburg University. The student should contact the Assistant Director, School of Nursing at (724) 250-2796 for more information.
- Criminal Record Check, Child Abuse Registry Clearance, and FBI Clearance
- Current CPR certification (American Heart Association Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers Course)
- Drug screening
- Interval health history and Tuberculin skin test (PPD)
Applicants must complete a theory challenge according to the following guidelines:
- Achieve a decision score of 65 or above on the National League for Nursing (NLN) Nursing Acceleration Challenge Exam (ACE) I PN-RN - Foundations
- The ACE I may be retaken one time.
The applicant will be provided with or have access to:
- Nursing I and II Course Outlines
- Nursing I and II Class Schedules to enable the student to audit any class
- Nursing I - Basic Nursing and Nursing II - Medical/Surgical Nursing textbooks
The Theory Challenge may be taken at any time during the completion of the Challenge Requirements. This will allow the LPN the opportunity to either continue with the challenge or revert to the generic student status, based on the decision score received.
The Clinical Challenge will be completed by those who have successfully achieved the Theory Challenge and Challenge Requirements.
Applicants must complete the following pre-clinical requirements:
- Instruction and testing for The Washington Hospital Information Systems (IS)
modules, A, B, and C.
- Achieve 90% or greater on math exam - may have three opportunities to pass. Calculators not permitted.
- Simulated Laboratory experience:
a. Applicants will need to complete selected requirements and may choose additional skills to practice.
- Practice computer nurses’ notes.
- Selected in-house education programs.
Applicants must successfully complete a clinical experience consisting of two days Medical/Surgical and two days Obstetrics with the following objectives:
- Describe the impact of the sick role on the mental, physical, social, and spiritual dimensions of the individual/family.
- Utilize a holistic approach when planning and providing care.
- Perform a physical assessment on patients according to the Nursing II Assessment Guidelines.
- Formulate an individualized nursing diagnosis and expected outcomes for an individual/family with simple alterations in health.
- Apply appropriate nursing principles when providing care.
- Utilize appropriate communication concepts when interacting with individuals/families and health care professionals.
- Demonstrate professional behavior as identified by “Professional Development Criteria” in the Student Handbook.
Applicants must have the Theory and Clinical Challenge successfully completed prior to Nursing III. Because of the pediatric clinical experience in Nursing III, a mandatory computer training session at Ruby Memorial Hospital must be completed prior to the Nursing III course. All LPNs who are successful in meeting the Theory and Clinical Challenge will begin the RN program in the Fall term, Nursing III.
Application Fee $25.00
NLN Nursing ACE $75.00
LPN Transition Fee $500.00
Additional Fees (required books) $500.00 (approximate)
Student Uniforms $150.00 (approximate)
All fees subject to change.
The NLN Nursing ACE fee is due prior to the scheduled test date. The LPN Transition fee is due prior to the beginning of the clinical challenge.